St. Vincent De Paul Parish
First Holy Communion
The catechetical program to be used in the preparation for First Eucharist is to be one recommended by the Religious Education Office of the Roman Catholic Dioceses of Las Cruces.
Catechesis for the first celebration of the sacrament of Eucharist will begin in the second half of the third year of a parish religious education program. It is to be conducted following the completion of the sacrament of reconciliation.
Children are to be enrolled in the catechetical program approved by the pastor for at least two years prior to entering into a First Eucharist program.
In the case of older children preparing for this sacrament, the pastor and parish director of religious education or assigned coordinator, should decide upon and implement an appropriate program of study which will adequately prepare that person for the sacrament.
Requirements and Activities
Sunday and Holy Day Mass Attendance
Mass attendance is the center of our Catholic Faith. The Church’s teaching and obligation of all Catholics is to keep the Sabbath Day and to attend Sunday and Holy Day Masses. There will be a sign in book at the back of the church for students to sign their name. If a student attends Mass in another parish they need to hand in a signed church bulletin from that church.
All First Holy Communion Students will attend Mass together once a month. Please refer to the student’s calendar to identify those days.
Sunday, September 25, 2016 – 10:00 am Mass, Rite of Names, students and parents are required to attend.
Saturday, May 6, 2017 – Reconciliation/ time will be announced later
Sunday, May 7, 2017– 10:00 am Mass – First Holy Communion
A prayer book will be given to all First Holy Communion students during the Rite of Names. Students are required to learn these prayers at home:
- The Sign of the Cross
- The Lord’s Prayer
- Hail Mary
- Glory Be to the Father
- Act of Contrition
- The Apostles Creed
- Make-up Work for Excused Absence: The student will be required to meet with the teacher within seven (7) days or as soon as possible, to draft a written plan to make amends for all missed work and sessions. It is the responsibility of the Student to initiate this meeting. If the student does not initiate and complete a Make-up plan within two weeks of the absence, such an absence will be deemed Unexcused.
- Unexcused Absence: Unexcused absences are not considered acceptable. A pattern of unexcused absences will bring into question whether a student should continue the program.
If you have any questions please call the church office at 575-538-9373
DRESS CODE FOR 1ST COMMUNION
- White dress, knee or mid-calf length, modest. NO spaghetti straps or halters.
- White shoes, NO heels! The marble floors are very slippery.
- NO veils! Girls may wear flowers, ribbons, or combs in their hair. They must not look like brides.
- NO gloves may be worn during Mass.
- Fingernails must be natural. If your child shows up with painted nails we will need to remove the polish.
- Absolutely NO make-up.
- NO big jewelry
- White long sleeve shirt with a collar.
- Black dress pants.
- Black shoes.
- Black socks.
- NO jacket
- Long black tie.
- The shirt must be tucked into the pants.
Please follow the dress code; we do not want to make changes to your child’s attire on the day of their First Communion.
Thank you for your support!
To register for First Holy Communion please print and fill out the Religious Application form and return to the office, located at 420 W Market St, Silver City, NM 88061
Please be sure to look at the CCD/Confirmation Calendar
Virginia Holguin, Director of Religious Education